Who we are
The Akademie Biggesee is a state-approved institution for political and social youth and adult education. Since 1951 we work governmentally subsidised in the field of political, economic, cultural and social education – independent, interdenominational and above party politics.
Located in the outskirts of Attendorn, the academy is embedded in the scenic Sauerland countryside, a rural area in North Rhine-Westphalia in the western part of Germany. Very close to us is the Biggesee (Lake Bigge), a reservoir and local recreation area. The academy is the ideal place for different types of seminar and conference formats while also offering time and place for various kinds of relaxation.
The academy briefly summarized:
- 87 beds in 55 twin and single rooms with shower and WC, partly handicapped accessible, marked as specifically blind-friendly
- Eight seminar and conference rooms for 10 to 120 persons with modern technical equipment
- Meals four times a day prepared by our own chef. Special nutrition habits, intolerances or hypersensitivities can be taken into account
- Spaciously laid out gardens
- Free parking space
- In-house bar
- Bicycle rental
- Free WiFi
- A variety of leisure activities as for example table tennis, pool-billiard, bowling, sauna
- Attractive options in the surrounding area, for example the Atta cave, Lake Bigge with its bathing places or various hiking and mountain bike trails
What we do
Our target groups are as diverse as life and our offers are precisely designed to their respective interests.
- We encourage you to act politically and socially
- We impart required knowledge
- We offer valuable orientation
- We enable people to involve themselves in social issues
- We offer places of encounter
The special feature of a seminar in the Akademie Biggesee is that we want to focus on your wishes, needs and abilities.
Our competences and topics are:
- Domestic policy, international relations, European integration and development of democracy
- Economic policy, globalisation and sustainable development
- Social policy, demography and social transformation
- Integration, intercultural learning and international youth exchange
- Voluntary commitment and civil society initiatives
- Media competence
- Social and interpersonal skills
We work in a team of five education officers who organize and manage the seminars, work as lecturers in the academy’s seminars but also support and give advice to our guest groups regarding their own events. Our clients determine the extent of this personal or organizational cooperation themselves.
Our international projects
- Youth exchange project with Thomas Foreign Language School in Qingdao, People’s Republic of China, since 2009
- Youth exchange project with Association Tunisienne de l'Animation culturelle Jeunesse et Loisirs d'Hammam Sousse (A.T.A.C.J.L) in Sahloul, Tunisia, since 2014
- Youth exchange project with Jangsu Youth Federation, Suqian, People’s Republic of China, since 2014
- Youth exchange project with Qingdao Technicians College in Qingdao, People’s Republic of China, since 2015
- Youth exchange project with Ma’ale Yosef Regional Council/Community Center in Israel, since 2017
- Furthermore, projects are currently under development in Greece and Poland.
Phone: +49 (0) 2722 709-0
Our secretariat/administration is available from Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
The reception is open from Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and on Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Attendorn is located 90 km east of Cologne, 75 km south of Dortmund and 170 km north of Frankfurt. The nearest international airports are Cologne/Bonn (CGN), Düsseldorf (DUS) and Frankfurt am Main (FRA).